Thursday, October 16, 2014

The Ultrasound

             Welcome! This is Day 16 of Our Adoption Adventure. If you would like to read from the beginning please click here.
                             ***********************************
        Two weeks later I drove three hours to take Emma to her doctor’s appointment. We talked easily and walked in together. Mostly I asked her questions and she was happy to answer. The doctor walked in and completely ignored me. He was a no frills, just the facts type of person. He spoke seriously and was not particularly friendly to Emma either. Finally, I spoke to him and told him we were planning on adopting Emma’s twins.  I asked about the health of the babies and the due date. He answered, but certainly never warmed up or offered anything more than basic answers.
         He ordered an ultrasound for Emma. Two weeks later I drove back to take her to the ultrasound appointment. She was sweet and happy and excited about getting to see the babies growing in her belly. She lay on the table and the technician invited me to come in and watch the monitor. The three of us waited and watched for anything familiar on the screen. When she found the first baby and started pointing out his features, tears rolled down my cheeks. I tried wiping them away before either of them saw, but I couldn’t contain them. Emma smiled at me and asked why I was crying. I told her it was unbelievable to be able to see these two precious babies inside her belly moving and watching their hearts beat. She touched my arm. “It’s okay. You don’t need to cry.” I told her they were happy tears and they were.
         Twin B was stretched out at the top of her uterus, back arched, legs down to the right, with a clear view of his little boy parts. A boy! We could not mistake that. He looked like he was relaxing and stretching as he moved his legs. Emma giggled when she felt him kick. Twin A, who was further down, was curled into a tight ball under Twin B. It looked like Twin B was taking up all the room in the belly making Twin A scrunch down at the bottom. It was hard tell on that day, but Emma said the previous ultrasound technician thought both babies were boys. We could not see much of Twin A because he was in a little ball. His hands were up by his face, as if he was hiding. We laughed together at the thought of Twin B hogging up so much of the room.
         The technician asked Emma if she would like some pictures printed out of the ultrasound. Emma turned to me and asked, “Do you want some pictures?” My heart leapt, “Yes, I would love some pictures.” The technician printed them out and gave them to me. It was a weird feeling looking at the ultrasound into her belly at my babies. Yet, in this small room the three of us enjoyed watching the twins and it felt pleasant and natural.
         After the appointment Emma was hungry so we went out to eat. Then I took her to the grocery store and she picked out a cart full of food. We caught up on what she had been doing the last few weeks as if we were old friends. She was excited to tell me about her plans and dreams for after the babies were born. She wanted to get her GED and try to find a better paying job. She wanted to get an own apartment for her and her daughter so she would not have to live with her parents.
         I hugged her as I dropped her off. I told her I was praying for her and the babies. She flashed her big dimpled smile at me. “Thanks Robyn. I will see you in two weeks.”
 
“I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well.”                                         Psalm 139:14

              ********************************** 
 Have you ever been moved to tears looking at something fearfully and wonderfully made?


****To read Day 17 of Our Adoption Adventure click here.***

13 comments:

  1. What an exciting moment! I loved our ultrasounds and I love hearing about it from your perspective. I want to go back and read the rest of your story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing thing to see! There is nothing better than seeing God's handiwork on an ultrasound screen. God's richest blessings to all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cried at all three babies' ultrasounds. There is no denying the Creator's touch when you see such perfectly formed features at such an early age. (The little baby toes are my favorite to see in an ultrasound!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so true. It is a miracle of God to see a baby life growing inside a woman's body.

      Delete
  4. What an amazing story in progress. As a mom of an adopted son my heart sings for you and the gifts you are receiving. God bless you, your family and Emma.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such an awesome story - I love how God prepares the way ahead of us. I don't have children and we never felt called to adoption, but I have dreamed sometimes of adopting a family of children. I know God in his infinite wisdom has a plan for all of us and I've made peace with not being a parent, but I love hearing stories of how God brought families together. Thanks for sharing yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I love great God stories no matter what the topic. It is interesting when we are going through something we don't see it as Him preparing us for something else, but then when we look back, we can see His hand on our lives and in our circumstances.

      Delete
  6. Oh, I have definitely cried tears of joy at the birth of each of my grand kids!! I have six but the oldest, my son's step daughter, did not come into our lives until she was around 2 years old. But her mother shared baby pictures with us and I made a scrapbook just as I am doing for the other five! Tears of joy for sure! Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barbara! That is beautiful of you to do that for your grand kids! What a gift!

      Delete